Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Hospital is my home away from home, but still no baby born.

This is the story:

On Tuesday of last week, I got this painful headache that wouldn't go away, even with Tylenol. I waited through it for a couple of days, but decided to call my doctor about it on Thursday. He sent me into the hospital that night to do some tests to see if I have preeclampsia (can be a serious problem). All the tests came back saying I was fine, except one thing...

While I was hooked up to the monitor, they noticed how often I was contracting. They were concerned that even though my contractions were mild, I was having them every 5 minutes still. And when they checked my cervix, I was dilated to a 5+ with an extremely thin cervix. So, they would not let me go home. They kept me over night and told me that I was going to be staying there until my baby came. They gave me more fun terbutaline shots to slow down the contractions (which seems to work for a few hours and then they start back up again). The doctor also had them give me a steroid shot, because he wanted to give the baby an extra boost for the lung development.
Friday morning I had another ultra sound done. The baby looked very healthy!! But they also noticed that I have a good deal more amniotic fluid then normal, and this is why the baby hasn't been engaging with all my contractions. His head is down, but he is just bouncing like a rubber ball, so I am not getting any further during all my pre-labors (besided being dialated and an extremely thin cervix). If I hadn't had all this extra fluid, I probably would have delivered by now. My doctor basically told me that he was still concerned that I will deliver very soon, and wants me to take extreme caution (especially since I am dilated so much, my labor, most likely, will go really fast), but that he felt OK with me going home and getting more rest. I was to watch for warning signs and come back quickly with any problems. So, I got to go home Friday afternoon!! However, I did have to go back in Saturday morning for my second steroid shot, and they did a stress test on the baby (doctors orders, from previous day).
So last night, Jim started having these really bad abdominal pains. We went to bed, but I got woken up at 1:30 with him in immense pain. I never seen my poor sweetheart in that much pain before. I was very concerned. So, I drove to Walmart and bought some maylax to see if that would help. We thought it was something he ate. He had a big football watching day and enjoyed very much his favorite brat worst meal ;). The malax only helped a little, but I tried to go back to sleep. At 3:30 Jim woke me up, telling me that it was worse than ever, and we were really concerned he was having serious gal bladder problems, or something scary like that. So we decided it needed to be seen by a doctor. I drove him to the ER (4th day at the hospital in a row), while Jim was healing over down to his knees in excruciating pain. As scared as we were that this was serious, I couldn't help laughing at how ironic it was that we had been going to the hospital so much for me lately, that it was funny to be on the other end of the scene. I got to sit in the chair next to him in the bed with the hospital gown and watch him getting stuck with needles. I joked with him that they were sympathy pains, and that when ever I am bed ridden, he has to do it too. (this isn't the 1st time) But this was serious, so Jim didn't think I was very funny. Apparently, he can make me laugh when I am in pain, but I am not good at doing it for him. Aah well.
So 2 hours and a few tests later, they released Jim with good results. Nothing serious. No gall stones, infection or other things of that nature. They said it could be an early ulcer or really bad heartburn or something less detected, but basically told him that he needed to watch for further signs and other episodes of similar pain. If he monitors what he eats and what is sending him into these horrible pain fits, they might be able to detect better what it was, but there was nothing that could be done except give him pain meds to ease the pain. He did feel considerately better after we got there. Well, that was good news, and we were on our way home again to get some very much lost sleep.
I told the doctors there that I would see them again very soon. :)
Lets just hope that our record for 4 days in a row, doesn't mean that I have to go back tomorrow. I would like a few days off.

5 comments:

Suzy Farar said...

Oh wow Brooke, I noticed Jim and the kids weren't in church today, and I was wondering if you were having the baby. I hope your sister was able to come be with the kids again! I told Jim to call me this weekend if needed. Keep me posted! It is kind of interesting being on the other side of the hospital visit and not the patient!

Missy said...

You guys are such troopers! I'm glad Jim is ok! I hope things will mellow out so you can get some rest before the baby comes;)

Anonymous said...

Brooke, this is Sister Meyers in Utah. Just want you to know that you, AND your baby, AND your husband, are in our thoughts and prayers. Some experiences are really awful to go through, but make the best stories in a year or two. I think this might be one of those.

Malori and Jon Saline said...

Oh my goodness Brooke!! That sounds completely crazy!!! Don't hesitate to call if you need any help with the boys or anything - we would love to come and take them for an evening if that will help out at all - just give us a call.
We love you and will pray for you!!

Kimmie said...

Wow! You guys have been through so much! I hope the next time at the hospital is your last! Let me know if you need anything!