Friday, April 11, 2008

The 52 Blessings Project

Once a week post a photo of something you are most grateful for. This gives us a chance to reflect on the good things we have learned from or that have made us better in our everyday lives or things we just enjoy! I think everyone needs to be more grateful for what they have now instead of always thinking about what we want! This is one of the things we can do to be more gracious people. It will be like a photo gratitude journal.

This is meant to go for the whole year and since I started late, I will catch up now. I think anyone can start any time of the year and continue for the rest of their life, but I thought it would be neat to start with the 15 weeks that I have missed already this year...

#1 My Savior Jesus Christ, and Heavenly Father, who gives me all that I have!

#2 I am thankful for Prophets. Both ancient and later day prophets. This last Sunday I witnessed a new prophet being sustained. I was able to raise my hand and agree to follow him myself. I have heard Pres Monson speak many times and already felt a huge admiration for him, but this weekend I was greatly touched by all the stories of his dedication to serve others. He is never too busy or selfish with his own trials to keep from loving and serving those in need. I want to be just like that. I have so far to go.
#3 I currently serve as the primary president in my ward! I love it! It is very challenging, but as always, working with children is such a joy and blessing. I have learned more, I think, in primary than in any other calling I have served in (that includes when I was Relief Society Pres). Serving in primary has made me a better mother and has increased my testimony. I love that I can use everything I do in primary for Family Home Evening lessons! I save everything! I love the Friend magazine, the scriptures, primary songs, and teaching!


#4 I have the most amazing husband!!!!!! He loves me so dearly and shows me everyday! He is a wonderful father and best friend! He gives so much for our family! I love being with him and feel so blessed to wake up and say good morning to him every new day!


#5 I am thankful for Jim's parents, who raised such a wonderful man. They are great in-laws! They are fabulous grandparents! They take such a part in my children's life and make them feel special! They are so fun to be around! They are always there when we need them and are willing to give us anything we need. In fact they spoil us! I love you Mom and Dad Cook!


#6 I too, was raised by "goodly parents". There was never a question if they loved me. They showed me in everything they did. I have a "super mother", who raised 9 children and taught us everything she knew! And a very loving Father, who took care of our every need. We always knew we could go to Dad for money or to get permission to do something questionable. :) My Mother pushed us to read scriptures and pray every night and to have FHE every week! They taught us to love one another and to love the gospel and to work hard. My family has always been, and forever will be, my best friends. Even with 9 kids and so much to do, my parents came to all the concerts or special events. We all went, which was pretty amazing. I remember my Mother staying up late waiting for us to come home from being with our friends. When we got home, instead of sending us quickly to bed, she would always ask about the day. We stayed up many nights very late talking about everything. I always loved that. Thanks Mom and Dad! I love you so much!

#7 Our family got a package today from Josh and Jessica, all the way from Switzerland! They are 2 of our best friends! Josh is really my 1st cousin, but they are more than that to us. Having them around was a regular part of daily life these last couple of years. Uncle Josh became "Jungle Josh"! My kids could never get enough playing with them. Jessica became a regular part of our FHE and after we put the kids in bed we would watch "Dancing with the Stars" with her. In December they moved to Switzerland for culinary school. We miss them dearly. Mondays come and my children still ask me if Uncle Josh and Aunt Jessica are coming. Thanks for the package Josh and Jess! The kids love the souvenirs! We are so looking forward to using the web cam!
#8 My Grandma Rogers called me the other day, just to check on me and see if I was OK. She is such an amazing lady! I will always think of my Grandmother as a gracious and good woman, even when things around her are not. I love my Grandpa Rogers very much too. Even though he had a low and rough voice, I will always remember hearing his tender words of love for me when he was alive. I will always be grateful that they lived with us for a while when I was young, so I got the opportunity to know them well at a young age. As I have grown older I haven't seen my grandmother as much, but I know she loves me. Thank you Grandma. I love you!
#9 I am thankful that we live in Arizona, even though it is hot! I hate the heat, but for some strange reason I look forward to it every year, just like I look forward to the cold. It is so fun to go swimming with my family! Another reason I love living here is our friends. This valley has so many wonderfully good people. In every home we have lived in, we have met fabulous people and have been blessed to learn from them! We also love all the great recreational activities and places we can go here. Parks, Zoo, movies, museums, recreation center, water parks, etc. Not all places in the world have all that we have!
#10 I am thankful for a healthy body! There are times when I am not well and I realize all the things I can't do and how great it is to feel well! If I have been sick long enough, I even look forward to cleaning the house (which is a huge step for me). When I am pregnant, I always feel so sad I can't go on the slides with my boys, so on the day this picture was taken, I remember thinking how lucky I was to be able to do so. Playing with my kids is such a great part of life, so I am thankful I am healthy to do it!
#11 I am thankful for the zoo! This is Justin looking at the giraffes (or more, pretending to be a monkey). We had a zoo pass for the last few years and have visited the zoo many times! We didn't get to this last year, so we miss it. Hopefully we can go again soon.

#12 Friends are fabulous! These are some of my favorite friends! I also have many others that I don't have pictures of. I chose this picture because when I see it, it reminds me of the real joy that comes from just spending time with good friends. All of my friends are such true and good friends. I am blessed to have friends that live far away and I still keep in touch with them. I have friends from High School that I will always admire and love. I have friends that I roomed with in college that feel like they are part of my family. I have friends in my neighborhood that I (thankfully) get to see often and they lift me. All of my friends have touched my life and helped make me the person I am! I love you all, where ever you are! #13 I am thankful for having 3 boys! It is so fun to have just boys! Our home is always full of silliness, noise, sports, bugs (that they find outside), flying objects (from them being thrown), cool stunt tricks, and super heroes! I love it! I love them!


#14 I am thankful for my sister Rebekah! She passed away July 4, 2007 at age 17. It still hurts to think of her because I miss her dearly. But I am thankful, because when I think of her I think of the wonderful person that she was. She loved people! She was funny! She was giving! She was cute! She had a strong testimony of the gospel and knew her Savior. She made beautiful music! She was a fabulous sister and aunt! I am thankful for her example!

#15 I am thankful for adversity and affliction, because we learn from them and grow closer to Heavenly Father & Jesus Christ. I am thankful that trials lead us to pray. I know that when we are unhappy we can pray, read the scriptures, fast, and give service to help us overcome our sorrows. I know Heavenly Father has a plan for our Eternal Happiness! I know that Jesus Christ is the one who truly knows how we feel and is the one source to making us happy again!
I have so many reasons to be happy!!!!!!!

4 comments:

carrie said...

i love this! i am going to work on getting a post put together this week to catch me up for the year, and then keep one going, too. Ü

what wonderful blessings you have in your life! thanks for sharing.

one of the things that will be on my list is technology, and the things it allows...such as blogs. i love the connection it helps us keep with others, especially those far away and with whom we may not have as much communication with...such as you. i have loved feeling a little more connected to you through our blogs the last couple months.

does anyone else in the fam have a blog? if not, let's get 'em on it, huh!

***LIZ*** said...

Very cool Brooke! What a great idea, it is so nice to see all the pictures and you remember how blessed you are. Can't wait to see the future installments.

The Earls said...

I love your blessings and can't wait to see an installment each week. I've been reading Crystal (Duke)'s 52 blessings too. I thought of doing it, but I think I would be inconsistent and forget. Oh well, I'll enjoy reading yours. Good luck.

Jessica Bunker said...

I feel so special to be on your list! We are working on getting our blog up (the goal is this Sunday) and I will try to list my blessings each week; although, I don't know that I'll have the time to catch up from earlier in the year - I'll try! Love you! Miss you!

Aunt Jessica (B)