Saturday, May 14, 2011

Longest and most scary night of my life


Our boys went on our wards father's and sons camp out last night, and some of the ladies from the ward were together visiting and having a girls night, when I got a phone call from my husband telling me that my son (Caleb) was lost in the woods and that they had been searching for him for 2 hours.  They had the forest search and rescue team there with search dogs and had been combing the forest with no luck.  I, of course, went into shock and hysterics, thinking my son might be lost to me forever!  After dropping to my knees to pray immediately and crying for a little while my friend, came to find me and had received a call from her husband, who was with my boys on the camp out.  She quickly told the others and they all were amazing to formulate a plan for what was the best thing to do and how to get me up the mountain, and who would watch my baby.  As I was crying uncontrollably, I heard silence for a moment and I came down the hallway to see all of my friends kneeling together in prayer for my boy.  What amazing and wonderful women!!!  Instantly that gave me hope that Heavenly Father would answer this prayer!!
Then as we quickly drove up the mountain (a friend drove me and my mother), my mom started a tree of calls to ask that family start praying for him to be found.
We got up the mountain at 12:30am, Caleb (3 yrs old) had been lost since 8:00pm!
They had sent some dogs out after his scent, and were hopeful at first, but no success.  The men had been combing for a while, and when I got there they were just getting ready to go out again, so I jumped in with them.  2:00am came and I was starting to think all hope was lost, so worried he was hurt, lifeless, or taken by a stranger.  We all had such a hard time imagining he could have gone farther then where we had looked.  It sure seemed as we had covered that entire mountain over and over.
We continued to look.  There was talk of dawn coming soon, and then they were getting ready to send in the horses.
Finally at 3:30am in the morning we hear someone yell, "they found him!"  My heart leaped!  It had been called in through the radio from another group that was combing a different area on the other side of the highway.  Jim and I just started running, not caring how far it was from where we were.  When we got to him I grabbed him in my arms and sobbed with relief!  He was OK!  Thank Heavenly Father, he was found and he is OK!!!!!!!!
When we asked him what had happened, he said he "was playing with the other kids, and then got lost, and then started looking for mommy and daddy, and then got tired, so he laid his head on a log and went to sleep".  When I asked him if he was scared, he said he was, but every time he talked about it, he didn't show much emotion, so I feel he handled it bravely.  Angels were watching over my little boy!  My sweet little boy!
I found out that the area that he was found had been combed before, but not quite that far, thinking that he wouldn't have gone that far (maybe 200 yards away?) they had turned around and went another direction.  Thank heaven's they combed it again later and went that much further!  They said when they found him, he heard his name called and lifted his head, and someone (from our ward) saw him.
I am so amazed by the outreach of love from the people that we know!!!
All the men in our ward and from the search and rescue were searching for hours!
They must have walked for miles and miles all through the night, calling his name the whole time.  And my family and friends, who were in the city, were up all night worrying and praying for us!  Everyone united and was so wonderful!  There were so many hugs and words of comfort that I desperately needed.  I am so grateful!!!!
After we found him, he was pretty cold (being out all night with only long pants and a long shirt, no jacket).  He kept complaining about his cold feet.  Our friend, who had drove us up the mountain, had a family cabin close by and graciously made it available for us to warm up in and sleep.  Caleb was able to feel better, and loved the attention, I must say.  He was thoroughly enjoying all the hugs and kisses he was getting from mommy, because I just simply couldn't put him down.  I had my boy back.  My adorable, wonderful, amazing, sweet, smart little boy!!!!!!!!  We can now sleep peacefully because we are a whole family again!

13 comments:

Julie said...

Wow. What a traumatic night for everyone. So glad you are all back together safe and sound.

Crissybug said...

I can only imagine the emotional rollercoaster that was! So thankful of the outcome. Makes me want to hug all my kiddos tighter.

Unknown said...

We had no idea! I am SO sorry you all had to go through that and SO SO SO glad that you are all ok! We love you guys!

Kimmie said...

I have never prayed so much for anything in my life, and Ive never been so thankful for anything either! I cant even imagine for one second how you and Jim must have felt! Im so grateful he is safe! You guys are wonderful!

Suzy Farar said...

I had no idea what was going on and didn't hear until later, but I'm so glad that he was found!!! That's one of the scariest things for a parent to not know where a child is. I'm so glad he is ok!

Mandie said...

So happy to hear he is safe! I just heard this evening! I can't imagine Brooke! I'd hold him all night!

Missy said...

I am so sorry that happened, but so glad it had a happy ending. What a blessing!

***LIZ*** said...

We love you and your family!! SO THANKFUL he was found safe and sound!

Pianamama said...

Brooke - I can't even imagine how that would feel. I am so glad everything turned out well in the end. I am sure you appreciate your family so much more now - thanks for sharing.

Bracken and Bracken said...

Oh Brooke!! My heart was aching for you as I read this. We lost Dallen for like 10 minutes at a carnival and I thought that was hard, I can't imagine how horrible that must have been for you. I am so thankful that the Lord was looking out for your family and sent angels to watch over sweet boy. So glad you have all your boys with you.

Amy said...

How terrifying! I started crying just reading your post and imagining me in your shoes. So glad he is safe!

Chad, Mindy and girls said...

That story brought tears to my eyes!! So happy to know that he was found safe and he is back with you and your family!!

TGS said...

Holy Crap Brooke! I started crying when I read the part about you got a phone call from Jim saying he was lost. What a terrible feeling that must have been. And so far away at that moment. I can't imagine that feeling of not knowing. I hope you guys are all well and Thank goodness he was found, safe.