Saturday, October 23, 2010

We called it our BIATHLON

Well, we did it! Today Jim and I were in a triathlon!!!  I should clarify a little. This was a family triathlon, so they were encouraging family teams. Jim and I were a team together. So, I did the 1/4 mile swim, and Jim did the 4 mile bike (it was supposed to be 8, but they had too many people come last minute and changed it for traffic safety) , and we both ran/walked side by side to the end! I was really pretty scared of the whole event, because I have never done anything like this before, and I am not a good swimmer. I had a pool to practice some, but I got really nervous when I saw all the people and realized that they were putting us in the pool 15 seconds apart. So... I had people pushing me from behind, and passing me and slowing me down in front. It was really stressful, and hard to find a good pace. I felt good about how I did though. Then it was really nice to take a few minute breather and get ready while Jim took off on the bike. He did a great job and looked awesome taking off! Then we started our 2 mile run. Because this was our first time, we paced ourselves. (It has been so hot here, that I really hadn't gotten a chance to do a real run. I have just been practicing high impact exercise for long lengths of time, for endurance. I didn't know how I would do really running that length. Jim has a gym membership, and has been running 2 miles and more on the treadmill) We chose to run for 2 minutes, then walk for 1, then run for 2 more, and so on. I felt really good, except the uphill parts where difficult. I got through it though, and I am really thinking I want to do a 5K next! I am so pleased to have pushed myself to do this! A great experience!

 This is our group before the race.
My mom is the one who wanted to do this, and tried to get as many of her kids to do it with her.
Besides Jim and I, Marcus, Darren and Heather did the whole thing themselves.
Chad also did it himself, but did it alongside his whole family.  Their oldest girl did the swim next to Chad. Then my mom rode the bike, and so did Chad pulling his other 2 boys in the bike trailer.  Last, his wife did the run, and Chad pushed the trailer in front!  I do not envy him doing this and adding the extra weight of the kids.  They are all so amazing!!  Marc was my swim buddy, and stayed with me the whole time.  (Marc has only been home from his mission a week, by the way, and had no time to train, but still did the whole thing himself!)  It was really great to do this with my family!!
 Our team, before the race.
 Jim looking awesome on the bike!
 And the bike part is done.

I didn't get any pictures on my camera of the run or swim. 
Hopefully someone else did and will get them to me.
But here is us after.
Yeah!  We did it!


2 comments:

Whitney said...

Holy crap you little secret-keeper! When did this get planned? Congratulations! I'm so, seriously, super proud of you and Jim for getting healthy and doing these great things! Doesn't it feel good? Seriously, I'm so giddy right now. Watch out sister, you're getting a hug tomorrow at church!

carrie said...

I apologize for the delayed read. I'm trying to catch up on reading some posts, and just could not pass up commenting on this one.

YOU ALL ROCK!!